Christchurch is the perfect base to experience skiing at its best in Canterbury. Canterbury is a winter playground for all levels of skiers and boarders, within 90 minutes drive from Christchurch.
There are large commercial fields such as Mt Hutt, and small club fields provide a more laid back, not so crowded, genuine Kiwi ski experience.
Arriving late at night, stay with us & we will pick you up or drop you off for only $10 (even with ski gear). You can have a good sleep before you head off on your next adventure.
All units are self-contained with well-equipped kitchens, microwaves, fridge & stove. Comfortable lounge area, with TV/DVD & dining area. Queen beds, twin & triple rooms. Free off-street parking. Guest laundry and drying room.
Ski friendly & knowledgeable. We can help you plan a ski holiday with a difference, skiing at the local club fields, and assist you to organise affordable ski hire and transport.
- Porter Heights – It’s so easy – the closest ski area to Christchurch, a short access road, fantastic learner slopes and a mountain of terrain for experts. Everything is here for you at Porters – and it’s designed to make your day at Porters as much fun as possible.Kids under 12 ski Free with a paying adult.
- Mt Cheeseman – Cheeseman is a friendly ski area which promotes a fun, family environment in an alpine setting. If you are keen on a taste of backcountry, it is little effort to drop into Tarn Basin to get some fresh lines. You can choose to stay up on the mountain in Snowline Lodge. Kids under 10 yrs ski Free.
- Broken River – Broken River Ski Area boasts some of New Zealand’s best off-piste, soft-snow skiing and snowboarding. We offer fantastic terrain for all levels of skiers and boarders, on-mountain accommodation, uncrowded powder basins and chutes, and – the best part – a friendly and inviting atmosphere. Be part of this unique experience. Come to “BR” and enjoy New Zealand club skiing at its best. Kids under 11yrs ski Free.
- Craigieburn Valley Ski Area – Steep narrow chutes, wide open powder bowls, un-crowded runs or just a place to take it easy in the awesome vista of the Craigieburn Range. If you are an advanced or expert rider then Craigieburn is your holy grail.While the mountain itself offers some of the easiest access advanced off piste skiing anywhere in the world Craigieburn offers much more than a place to ski. Kids under 13 yrs ski Free.
- Mt Hutt – Mt Hutt is one of New Zealand’s largest ski areas with some of the best natural snow around. With an altitude of 2086m and a skiable area of 365 hectares. Mt Hutt has one of the longest vertical drops in the South Island & the greatest variety of terrain. Plenty of facilities for beginners & kids 10 year & under get to SKI FOR FREE at Mt Hutt.
- Hanmer Springs Ski Area – Hanmer Springs Ski Area is a friendly, fun ski area just 17km from the alpine resort town of Hanmer Springs.
Ski & Snowboard Rental.
Transport to the Ski Fields
If you do not want to drive yourself you can get to the ski fields from the motel by
- Shuttle bus pick up and drop off from our door.
- Organised private car share….snowpool.org.nz
- Commercial tour operators.